Friday, September 10, 2010

the gr8 xbox softmod of 2010: prequel thru chapter 1

This will be a curmudgeon's journal of a process. My noobiness may show, be warned.

Working with a thrift store purchased xbox game system,
a memory card (necessary files put on card by l33t p4l),
and a copy of the game necessary for the exploit.

The story before my present attempt is littered with reading how-tos, viewing yt vids, and forming a greatest-hits of the effective practices I learn among them all.

I scored my first xbox cheap to play just the very few games on the console that interested me. I got a job at a tech company and a cow-orker did an upgrade of that unit with the only hard drive I could lay my hands on, a 30gb.

I've outgrown that and have a 74.5gb in a usb housing that system profiler lists as IDE. The idea is that running through the relatively familiar territory of softmodding the existing drive would lead to upgrading it to the 74.

Then press on with auto installer deluxe and begin slapping stuff on it.

Could it really be that simple? Do I even have the correct bit to open the frakking case? Will the hdd play nice?

Can I even get the dvdrom to read Mech Assault?

tune in tomorrow...

[update]

the thrift store xbox came with a dvd remote but no receiving dongle, 2 s-type controllers, the short breakaway end of a third s-type controller cable, power and video cables and the console itself.

I got it home a few weeks ago, connected and powered it up and found a really scuffed up Sega GT/JSRF disk in it. I sulked at the time b/c it didn't boot that and wouldn't boot Serious Sam II either. I had a full plate of other chores and tasks at the time, so I tabled the console for future tinkerage.

Flash forward a few weeks and my mate is pulling a long shift at work, so I've steeled myself to this adventure. I've gained several years worth of use from the first softmodded xbox I learned on.

Macrohard's idea of what the xbox is for is quaintly limited. I like being able to use xbmc as a pseudo-tivo and media center at least as often as I use this console for playing games. And the games I usually play are old platformers, emulated classics, or homebrew from the community of independent and hobby developers.

There's a Xbox Resurrection project floating around various parts of the internet. People who want to make the absolute most out of a modded xbox have come together to make it like a living, playable video game museum. Complete with box art, videos of trailers or commercials, and how-tos.

Expanding upon the concepts of the auto-installers, Resurrection seems to create a home node of a video-gamers library of congress, and the concept will surely go upwards and onwards from its somewhat humble beginnings on this hardware.

Tonights activities included learning how simple and subtle some things can be. I tried to copy a gamesave from an xbox memory card to the hard drive inside, only to discover I barely knew anything about navigating a stock ms dashboard. Took me almost half an hour to figure out the simple right arrow selected the gamesave itself, not the card it was on.

MechAssault (proper version obtained several years ago)
+
memory card with appropriate krayzie linux installer files
+
finally knowing how to copy the gamesave to the HD
=
modded xbox with backed up eeprom.bin and alternate dashboard.

now onward to backing up the original HDD, cloning (or whatever) that to the new HDD, and using AID to format the new HDD.

No comments:

Post a Comment