Sunday, September 12, 2010

gr8 xbox softmod of 2010: chapter 2

the process continues. Erring on the side of caution this time means I’ve committed myself to dumping near 2gb of auto installer deluxe on the peecee. if I wired it into the network, provided I had a reliable cable long enough, it might go faster, but the wireless maxxed out at 250kb and I killed it when attempting to leech the file from the internet. even with our connection, the halfassed almost broken antenna on this wireless card couldn’t do better.

I’m at 24 minutes and counting downward before I can dump the last 2 roughly 95mb pieces from a 2nd usb stick. after dumping the pieces, I uncompress them, follow the tut for modifying Auto Installer Deluxe, tweak it as necessary... rom packs don’t bother me, they can be added later. 

I moved the recently modded xbox and old commie workhorse monitor off the desk and set up the dam peecee. Of course nothing I did with the usb hard drives would work. Not the 74gb maxtor 4k080h4 formatted as it was, not once I tried to reformat it with the mac to FAT/MSDOS.

I went to computer management in win2k, signed and reformatted the drive. I probably missed a step or some shit, b/c once I’d done that and it appeared a viable blank drive in win2k, I ejected it and plugged it into the mac mini’s usb hub. Nope. It sees it, but won’t let me write to it. Read only? Wtf? What did I do to make it like that?

Not being able to read the dam thing under windoze made me reformat it WITH windoze, hoping it would shuttle back n forth better like that. Nope. Mac wouldn’t write to it. So I forget that plan, went to usb sticks, and forget that the dam HP pc, this fellow thrift store find.

according to system properties its an AMD athlon with 512mb of RAM. I think it has another 60 or 70 gb hd in there. The floppy’s probably still connected, it buzzes every once in a while. It had a hp cdrw in there when I got it, I dropped in another thrift store salvaged dvdrom drive. I think it’s the one that had a copy of Friday in it the day I brought it home.

6 minutes. Hopefully the process will accelerate a good bit after this bottleneck has been passed. Tweak AID, find out how to dump the finished version back to the damn burner and burn it.

a few go-rounds with AID patcher and I’ve got an ISO small enough to fit back on the usb stick from whence it came when it was still lowly rar files. 25 minutes from now I can copy the damn thing at an actual civilized speed for usb, burn the ISO with disk utility ... if it will let me.

Then...nah. I need more coffee to have that much momentum. I’m still stuck on the now. Getting the dam peecee to function should not take this frakking long. I really need a win box for the basics like this shit, but with usb2 and a dvd burner and something approaching real world features.

maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment