Sunday, September 12, 2010

gr8 xbox softmod of 2010: chapter 3

here we go. hustled ISO over to ext usb hd. burned with disk utility. appeared to work ok. put it in the xbox, orange light. mild wait to see it load. now the music’s playing and it’s time to roll. the bounced burn is grinding away on that stock hdd and filling it with emulators, apps, scripts, and probably tons of shit I’d delete.

I winced when I saw a folder in the scripts portion of the hierarchy entitled “football”, entirely unable to imagine it referring to anything but the Great American Abomination that isn’t soccer, yet also is far from futbol.

I’ve loaded a couple videos, but it seems like this would be really easy. I don’t know if I can just chuck in the new hdd and roll from there, as the vids suggest AID can do, but older tuts and texts and howtos seem to be divided on.

I can set the jumpers the same. I just don’t know if I need the eeprom.bin or the backup of the original C drive, the HDM or whatever, to clone onto the new hdd. Unless AID has streamlined that also, which this evening’s forum reading, searching, skimming and stumbling would suggest.

It seems there used to be a lot of surgical single-file modding and re-FTPing back to the xbox required in the earlier days of the softmod culture. Now AID has streamlined a lot of that, and I get the idea that I could just chuck the new hdd in there and roll with it, be prompted for whatever’s necessary...

I know this saga is approaching miniseries length at this point, having burned at least 90 minutes and perhaps over 2 hrs on the peecee portion of this awkward fumbling attempt. Surreal64_XXX box art thumbnails are streaming by with anonymous alphanumeric strings for filenames, buzzing past in a blur.

Do I press onward, attempting to get the bigger hdd noticed, formatted, modded, installed?
Or do I put off what has become inevitable, the maxtor that’s clearly supported and lockable as per the xbox hard drive compatibility list at http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_modelnum=4K080H4

I have a smattering of somewhat organized rom-gathering binges I’ve gone on over the years, and a small pinch of very early console rom collections I first leeched wayback in my very first days of having a higher-than-dialup speed connection to ye olde internette.

Funny, now I see zsnexbox skins at 720 and 1080 that I know for a fact I’ll never use. If Auto Installer Deluxe were something I understood better, or it had further customizable install options, I’d opt out of that sorta shit, but meh.

I’m still actually floored that the thing booted MechAssault. The mod went according to the plan...I booted into xbmc since I’m used to it and wanted a file browser. Now I’m gonna copy the backup and the eeprom to the memory stick.

I don’t know if I can get anything else to read it, but the 512mb stick I have lets me copy it, claims its FATX formatted. So I’ll have another source of the backup and eeprom aside from the original hdd when I move the new one into the xbox. I’ll have it on this dam stick. Will AID let me copy it back if needed? Is that the question, or just senseless worry?

Ok. the C drive backup and the eeprom backups are on the fatx formatted 512mb stick. The one it seemed to like for that sorta thing. I might tinker around a little with the current hd, but I’d hope I could swap it back in if the other one flakes on me and won’t install or some such shit.

After all, if it asks for backups of C and eeprom, AND if it will recognize the usb stick in that condition, then I can provide it. That’s the big boogeyman everyone seems to be so afraid of. I did the same due diligence when modding my wii. I made damn sure I backed up the original NAND before I got all moddy with it, so that according to most of the FAQs and howtos, I could recover from 99% of brickish behavior if I had a NAND backup.

Similar rules apply here. Now onto the case cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment