Wednesday, April 27, 2011

two steps forward, one step back & a smack upside the head

I'd make some allusion to that subj/title line about how the nation took 2 steps forward electing Barack Obama President.

[But I'm getting tired. Long day and I dropped my 1000 words a foo different places already. Brain, let me wind down fer a while? Okay? After this post? Alright, we gotta deal. :) ]

Our one step back was the whole DOMA/homophobic laws BS. Of course the other shoe to drop on that score is that the birthers are still hawking snake oil, shuckin and jivin in blackface for all their rhetoric's difference from overt racism.


On a personal level I'd say today's two steps forward were Stan Rogers and the Jive Aces. Stan's song in question being Barrett's Privateers, a pirate chanty obviously beholden to no nation. The Jive Aces were just blowing bubbles of pure joy with a cover of a song not even their own.

Of course the internet, being the hot tempered redhead it for-sure has to be, points out that enjoying the music of The Jive Aces is some kinda implicit endorsement of Scientology. And despite my caucasoidality I wanna shout "n-gga please!"

I do possess a rancor for the corporate politics that hide behind the CoS and documented cases of what it's done to individuals. But the Catholic Church has probably done more wrong in the continuum of history than Scientology has been around long enough to accomplish. Get it through your heads.

When it's just the music - be it Beck or the Jive Aces, it doesn't automatically mean it's tainted. That's not American, to think that. It just isn't.

Granted somewhere beneath it all there may be a dicey, slippery slope I can on some level admit, but I shall not back off my enjoyment of this one song. Or any Beck song, dammit.

There are times, Anonymous, when your crusade against Scientology seems a tad fascist its ownself. I love your spunky enthusiasm, it makes me smile and honestly your existence alone elevates the level of the debate, but you're not possessed of an utterly level head. (except against Fony. full steam ahead o'er there. I got yer back!)

Your Scientology connection offers at best a 3% doubt that I'll find nothing beneath the precise musicianship of Jive Aces resembling a true and vibrant dynamic creative heart like a Johnny Cash, a Merle Haggard, Mark Olson or Ani DiFranco lurking beneath their skin.

For all the enjoyable ride, I ain't ventured further than the one track. I just discovered it today for fecksake.

Know what, America, let's have a little heart-to-heart here, shall we? We'll walk around the playground of Music Circa Now and I'll be all impolite and point for your own betterment.

See over there? That silver-painted man meditating naked is Stuart Davis, f-ing brilliant rockstar musician and bard among men. Don't spew or anything, but he's a buddhist or something-as-yet-to-be-determined. We'll walk by quick so you don't get any ON YOU...cooties! Ewww!

But ya know what? You big pussy, America?

I heard that the last name Levy might mean Jooo! Hevvinstabetsy! Abandon ship! Wait, didn't we finish a war we didn't start to save Jews? For somebody with an awful lot going for you, America, you can be pretty schizo about Jews. Admit it.

I love the Honeydogs till my dying day and it could make no diff if they were Jewish or Pakistani to this Euro-descended mutt. They are a gift you ought bear witness to, fool. Act like ya know!

I love Low. But somewhere on the scuttlebutt pond I heard whispers they're ... Mormon! Quick, everybody freakout! Oh, that's right, nobody cares...

Brother Prince is a Jehovah's Witness. Despite feeling he betrayed the nondenominational roots I heard in the song New Power Generation, I respect his wishes. btw, shouts out to Brother Isaac from my days at Charter, another JW.

Big whoop. Get your spirit on, Amen, Hallelujah, Shalom Salaam. Om mani padme umm...

Religious TOLERANCE? How about religious indifference??
Try some on, America, do ya good!

Tip of the hat to Jive Aces.

No comments:

Post a Comment