Thursday, November 19, 2009

samplehead vs halloweenhead; 1st of 3 falls

I go off on a tear being anti-corporate like I'm George Carlin's long lost grandkid or something, sometimes. And then bang-o...something from my formative years comes busting out.

I woke up the other day after failing to sleep off a headache that consumed most of the daylight hours. I further medicated, caffeinated, and eventually conquered it.

Not before an old network bumper from the old viacom/emptyvee proto-kids network Nickelodeon got stuck in my head. Nicknick nicknick na nicknicknick... Haw de lo hup hivvel hup nick...etc.

Those bits of harmonized babble are writ down at root level with machine-language file protection deep in the firmware of my brainmeats. I bet they'd be glad, if anyone who developed these old bumpers still worked there.

I'm not even gonna link to the video. You can find it by searching 'nick doo wop' o'er at teh goo-tubez.

I realize I may rail against some things that capitalism has given to, taken from, or forced upon the world. But I can appreciate just as many truly creative side-effects. Call it the American two-step of protest-then-facepalm.

I also wonder if any rappers, of any nationality or racial stripe, have sampled these sounds. I found myself immediately wondering if I could edit their doo wop syllables into a nursery rhyme like 'Knick Knack Paddy Whack.'

And that was before I remembered the Mr. Bungle song with 'knick-knack-paddywhack' as a refrain. *evil grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment